Licensed Practical Nursing
Offered at the Health Careers Center
The Licensed Practical Nurse program prepares students in the basic skills and knowledge required for a career as a practical nurse.
The New Jersey Department of Education and the New Jersey Board of Nursing have approved the curriculum for the LPN program.
The LPN curriculum is divided into three phases:
- Phase I - 12 weeks - Basic Nursing Concepts and Skills
- Phase II - 17 weeks - Caring for the Adult Patient with Alterations in Physical Health
- Phase III -15 weeks - Caring for Patients in Specialty Areas
*Students must maintain an academic average of 75% in classroom instruction and receive a satisfactory rating in the clinical area.
*Units of instruction must be completed in sequence.
*Upon completion of the program, students will be awarded a diploma from the Mercer County Technical Schools and will be eligible to sit for the first available NCLEX-PN (National Council Licensing Exam – Practical Nurse).
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent as determined by NJ Department of Education
- Pre-Entrance Examination: Reading Comprehension/Basic Math - 11th grade level in basic skills required for acceptance*
- Applicants must complete and successfully pass a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI). If the CBI reveals a conviction or unresolved complaint for a crime or misdemeanor involving any violent or serious offense, the applicant may be barred from entrance to the program.
- Pre-Entrance Physical and Dental Examination
- Personal Interview
- Health Care Provider Certification in CPR
- Computer skills are essential.
- Applicants who can demonstrate a Medical Terminology Course or National Certification in EKG and/or Phlebotomy are exempt from those sections of the LPN curriculum.
Tuition to be determined annually by the Mercer County Vocational Technical Board of Education.
Tuition subject to change without notice. Health Careers Center Tuitions
Proof of residency will be required. Post office boxes are not acceptable as proof of residency. Tuition must be paid prior to the beginning of each Phase. Tuition must be paid by certified check or money order - made payable to Mercer County Board of Vocational Education. Personal checks will not be accepted.
No financial aid, student loans, or grants are available.
Additional Expenses May Apply
(fees subject to change without notice):
APPLICANTS FOR LICENSURE AS A PRACTICAL NURSE IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY MUST BE FINGERPRINTED AND HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK. THIS IS A SEPARATE BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED BY THE NJ BOARD OF NURSING AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE.
STUDENTS DO NOT RECEIVE REMUNERATION DURING CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
All fees and tuition are subject to change without notice.
Length of Program
Full-Time: 11 months
Term: August to July
Class: 5 days per week; 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Clinical: 7:00 a.m. to 2:30
Note: Schedules are subject to change.
Anyone having a complaint about the Practical Nurse program may address that complaint to the
NJ Board of Nursing, (as specified in N.J.A.C. 13:37-1.11)
P.O. Box 45010
Newark, NJ 07101
or call 973-504-6430.
An Advanced Placement Program is available for those applicants who have prior experience as a student nurse in
1) another LPN program
2) an RN program.
The Advanced Placement Program recognizes an applicant's knowledge of beginning nursing practice gained at another setting and assures the Health Careers Center of the applicant's ability through written testing of theory and evaluation of clinical skills.
The applicant must demonstrate theoretical knowledge and clinical skills equivalent to those possessed by students at the completion of Phase I of the LPN program.
Method of Evaluation
1.) A written test of theoretical knowledge and nursing math. (A minimum score of 75 is required.)
2.) Satisfactory demonstration of selected nursing skills in a classroom/laboratory setting. Skills are evaluated using objective criteria based upon procedural check lists that accompany the text currently in use.
Structure of Advanced Placement Program
1.) Application form and transcript of prior nursing education must be submitted.
2.) Day 1 - Written test of theory and math.
3.) Day 2 - Clinical skills evaluation.
The fee for the Advanced Placement Program is $250.00 and is due prior to testing.
*Advanced placement applicants must meet all pre-entrance requirements except pre-test of basic skills.