Click above to play the video.
The Health Science Academy is a full-time, 4-year program offered by the Mercer County Technical School District. The Health Science Academy offers self-motivated students a comprehensive preparation for careers in the health, medical and biological sciences. Students work and study in a creative environment enhanced by contact with specialists in the health care fields. Personal and career counseling coupled with field experiences prepares each student for college and careers. The Health Science Academy is affiliated with colleges, universities, private practitioners and medical and research facilities in order to enhance a rigorous curriculum.
It is the mission of the Health Science Academy to provide a highly specialized learning environment which promotes the development of a confident, well-rounded health care professional through unique academic experiences specific to the field of health care.
This will be achieved by:
- implementing challenging cross curricula experiences that promote critical thinking skills and foster opportunities for leadership
- embracing high professional standards in ethics and character development
- providing authentic clinical experiences and internships through professional and community partnerships
- utilizing state-of-the-art equipment technology that will enhance employment and academic opportunities in an ever-changing environment
Any Mercer County 8th grader may apply. Interested candidates are encouraged to attend an information session to learn more. Applicants to the Health Science Academy may apply online in the fall of their 8th grade year.
The following criteria will be considered for admission:
- Grade Point Average/Attendance (7th and 8th grades)
- Standardized Test Scores - NJ ASK (7th grade)
- 2 Admissions Assessments (Math and Language Arts)
- Written recommendation from counselor or academic instructor
Students are admitted to the program through an application review process. All courses are designed and taught at an enriched level.
Mercer County Technical Schools is certified by the New Jersey State Department of Education and is also accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Students will work toward certifications in American Red Cross First Aid and American Heart Association's Health Care Provider CPR.
Articulation Agreements with Mercer County Community College (MCCC) and Rutgers School of Health Related Professions allow students to earn valuable college credit upon successful completion of high school classes.
Every student must complete a minimum of forty (40) hours of community service prior to completing their studies at the Health Science Academy. The requirement must be met with at least two different community service activities.
During the 2014-2015 school year, more than 100 students enrolled in the Health Science Academy.
Students have the opportunity to demonstrate what they've learned by participating in such co-curricular student organizations as Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA). In addition, students may elect to participate in the Debate Team, Student Council, Yearbook and Model UN.
The average teacher-to-student ratio is 1:10.